Sunday 13 May 2012

Have spent today planting out the small pots of cosmos, lupins, zinnias, eryngiums and 10 week stocks that have been filling the cold frame.  It may be a bit of a gamble, but I desperately need the plant pots for the next batch of seedlings coming along, and the space.

Have been shoving them in to any gaps I can see in the borders, and should probably rip out loads more of the forget-me-nots which will rapidly self seed all over the place. My ruthlessness will wait until the first signs of black manky leaves appear, because at least these dainty blue lovelies  are easier on the eye than bare soil.  By then I'll need the border space for this year's summer superstars (whatever they may yet prove to be) - but for the moment the blue of the forget-me-nots is a great foil to other bolder plants at the moment.  Even better is the brunnera, Jack Frost, which not only has gorgeous tiny blue flowers, but brilliant silvery leaves as well, which really brighten up the dull shady border under the apple tree.

Brunnera 'Jack Frost', lysimachia ciliata 'Firecracker' (dark leaf) and astrantia (I think).

with tulip 'Queen of the Night'

with honesty and heuchera 'Greenfinch' - who says green flowers are a waste of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment