Sunday 3 February 2013

Thank the Lord for IPhoto!

In view of the need to cut flowers in April, and feeling mild panic at the muddy expanse in front of me at the allotment today, I peered hopefully into the archive of IPhoto to see what has previously been in flower at that time of the year and found these little rays of hope (and suspiciously bright conditions - hope it isn't unremittingly wet this spring...)

Red parrot tulips

Honesty (purple), Japanese maple ' dissectum', forget me nots and artichoke foliage.


So let's hope the sun shines and my tulips perform well this year.  I love that purple and lime green combination in the photo above.  Have got lots of honesty seedlings spread around the place, so the sight of them makes me feel better.


8 comments:

  1. Love those parrot tulips, I used to have them some years ago :-)
    My tulips are on their way up, just need some more of those spring days we had in January, seems they have gone away, now we have much colder weaterh here in London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're threatening us with more snow, but am keeping my fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. I've never grown honesty (or seen it), but that picture just made me decide to give it a try this year! What a beauty! Of course, the combination of all the plants along with it is fabulous, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is it beautiful, it self seeds freely too and gives you those lovely papery silver 'moon penny' seed heads later on. Such a winner!

      Delete
  3. I hope your weather didn't turn too bad!
    An old neighbour used to grow honesty and yes, it does spread around a bit doesn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also never grown honesty although I have a packet of seeds that came free with a magazine. Isn't it one of those things that doesn't flower until the following year? I am not patient enough for that! I am a kind of instant gratification gardener. This can turn out to be expensive so I am training myself to do more seeds. Your honesty look great anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sown early enough (early March) it will probably flower same year, setting seed and having babies in autumn - thus leaving you with a brood to nuture to flower next year. It's a real gift (not git) of a plant. It is also as tough as old boots and will grow under trees, in sun, on poor soil, wherever...

      Delete